Welcome to Comfrey


This information is provided to give you an overview of services and regulations within the City of Comfrey. Please contact the City Clerk’s office if you have any questions 507 877-2665.

Utility Bills from the City of Comfrey include water, sewer and garbage. Bills will be sent monthly on the 17th and are due by the 4th of the month.  New utility customers must pay a deposit of $150.00 before service starts.

Garbage pickup is every Wednesday. Please put curbside by 7:30 AM. There is a single and family rate. Larger items will be picked up with advance notice. Please contact Riverview Sanitation with any questions or concerns at 507-354-5355 or riverviewsanitation.com.

Recycling pickup is curbside every Wednesday.  Please have bins or carts curbside by 7:30 AM. Riverview Sanitation provides the service.  However, Brown County is in charge of the program.  Recycling charges are paid with your property taxes and may be seen on the property tax statement.

Compost site is located 3 miles north on County Road 16. Tree branches, leaves, grass clippings (No bags please) may be taken to the site. Contact the maintenance dept or the clerk’s office for the key.

Burning of leaves and garden waste is permitted between Sept. 15 – Dec. 1 with a DNR permit that is issued at the clerk’s office. No cost for the permit.

Dogs and Cats must be licensed if kept in the City of Comfrey. License is due April 1. Proof of shots must also be provided. The fee is $15.00 or $30.00 for a 3 year license. Pet owners are responsible to purchase license in a timely manner. Administrative fee is charged if not purchased in a timely manner.

Land Use Permits are necessary for all outside structures, new or remodeled. Please contact the city clerk’s office before you begin any project to see if a permit is required. The Planning and Zoning Board and the City Council must approve all permits before projects begin.

Sump Pumps and roof drains cannot be connected to the city sanitary sewer system. The City has a right to inspect homes for violations. Failure to comply is a misdemeanor.

ATV/UTV/Golf Carts are permitted in town with a permit.  Permit applications can be picked up from the City office and are $25.

Snowmobile Regulations - Please check with the Police Department or the city clerk regarding use of snowmobiles within the city limits.

Weed and Grass Control is the responsibility of property owners. Weeds and grass must be mowed before they are twelve inches high.

Junk Motor Vehicles - It is unlawful to park, store, or leave junk motor vehicles within the city; vehicles must have current license and be operational.

Comfrey Community Center is available for rent for meetings, receptions etc. It has a capacity of 300 with a full service kitchen. For more information contact the city clerk.

Senior Dining - Meals may be delivered by request. Call 877-2209 10:00 AM – 11:00 PM for more information.

City Parks - We have 2 parks available with picnic shelters, a softball field, tennis court, volleyball court and playground equipment. We have 4 camping sites in the South Park. Reservations may be made by calling the clerk’s office, 507 877-2665.


Miscellaneous information:

City office hours: Monday-Thursday  8:00 – Noon, 1:00 – 4:00 PM
Friday  8:00 - Noon

Telephone # 507 877-2665

Fax # 507 877-4071

Email address comfreyclerk@frontiernet.net 
Website address: comfreymn.com

City Council meets the 1st Monday of the month at
6:30 PM in the community center.

Planning and Zoning Board meets the last week of the month.

Comfrey Community Days is held the weekend after the 4th of July Holiday.


Other Utility Information

Brown County REA 1-800-658-2368

Telephone-Frontier 1-800-921-8101

Comfrey Cable TV 1-888-283-7667
(Owned by Clara City Telephone Co)

Comfrey Post Office 507 877-2811



City of Comfrey is an equal opportunity provider and employer.